Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reflection

I graduated high school yesterday. That was exciting...


Reflection - June 20, 2011

I am old now
I look at myself in the mirror and say
You’re too young
You’re too dumb
You can’t graduate today!

There’s more to learn
You need so much time to mature
Look at you
You’re a baby
Too innocent and pure

The big scary world,
Cause it’s out there you know,
It will eat you
Attack you
Give you blow after blow

Grads were grown-up
When I looked as a child
All mature
Had no problems
And were never ever wild

When I look
I’m opposite from what I saw then
Immature
Full of problems
I feel about ten

But here I stand
With a cap and a gown
I’m so nervous
That’s my name
I feel clumsy as a clown

Now it’s done
I’ve got my diploma in hand
Time to go
Room to grow
In this uncharted land

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations again. That looked like an intimate ceremony. The world can be scary and there's a lot to learn but surround yourself with good friends and ask for help from people you trust and you'll be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Becky!!!!!!!!!

    Graduation is definitely a transition period...where you come out of the shelter of high school into the world where you need to make things work without the teachers help. Sure it's scary, but as I read your poem I was reminded of how constantly God reminds us in the bible to "not be afraid" because he's with us.

    Genesis 26:24
    That night the LORD appeared to him and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid, for I am with you; I will bless you and will increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham.”

    Exodus 14:13
    Moses answered the people, “Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.

    Leviticus 26:6
    “‘I will grant peace in the land, and you will lie down and no one will make you afraid.

    Deuteronomy 1:17
    D Do not be afraid of anyone, for judgment belongs to God.

    Joshua 1:9
    Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”

    And my personal fav:

    Psalm 3:5,6
    5 I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
    6 I will not fear though tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side

    So yes, this world is big and bad and scary, just remember you have God on your side, and there is no one that can bring you down!

    Congratulations on your graduation! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good poem Becky. I appreciate the honesty & vulnerability of it.

    I'm very proud of you Becky. I too feel younger inside than time tells me I am. But I'm sure you & I would both agree that that won't stop us from entering new chapters in our lives as we trust God in His strength to use us in all our weaknesses. I'm sure God's got great plans for you!

    ReplyDelete